Saturday, February 19, 2011

Sew What?

Lately I have been saving tons of web pages with patterns and tutorials for different sewing projects. I have been really wanting to make my own window treatments and bedding and to do some altering and embellishing of my wardrobe. I just love all the beautiful projects out on the Internet.
Kiki Creates
However, I do not have a sewing machine.I really want a sewing machine. I have for a while now, but I just can't seem to justify the expense. You see, I don't exactly know how to sew.  I can stitch up chewed on stuffed animals

and worn out sweat shirt sleeves, but I have only ever used a sewing machine once, and it was kind of traumatic. At least it was to the 13 year old me. I guess I could teach myself once I get a machine, but I am also worried about getting frustrated and turned off of sewing. I don't just want to learn to sew, I want to LOVE to sew. I don't want this to be yet another one of my overly ambitious ideas that I quit half way through for one reason or another.

One of the main reasons most of my projects/ideas get halted is money. I have no idea about the potential expense for a hobby like sewing. We are on a VERY tight budget, which is exactly why my scrapbooking never really panned out (now there is a hobby that gets expensive, fast). Matt has been keeping his eye on Craigslist for an inexpensive sewing machine, but I don't know anything about them or how they work. I could definitely see us getting hosed on a "deal". Then there is the fabric and, from what I can tell, it is not exactly cheap. I just don't know. I guess for now I will continue practicing my hand stitching on small projects and basic mending. And some day, a sewing machine...maybe.

2 comments:

  1. Hey I've been wanting to buy a sewing machine since I can't figure my other one out. i either need to get my old one fixed or get a new one...let's talk before you do anything. :D You'd be MORE than welcome to borrow mine and see if its something you want to invest in or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet, you are awesome as always!

    ReplyDelete