I have a serious problem. When its on his own terms, Alex is an awesome little helper. BUT, somehow my 4 year old boy transforms into an angst ridden, emo teenager anytime I ask him to do anything. Examples:
Me: Alex please wash your hands before lunch.
Alex: (tosses his head back dramatically, and stomps off to the bathroom) Ugh! I can't believe she's making me WASH my hands, AGAIN! I why does she always say to wash my hands....
Me: Alex, you need to put away that toy/game/shoe before the dogs eat it.
Alex: ALL BY MYSELF! I can't do it all by myself. It will take along time. I will never, never, never be able to play. Mommy, do you know what make me sad? When I have to do this ALL ALONE.
Me: Alex, sit down and eat your food. It's been an hour and you haven't touched your food.
Alex: She always tells me to sit down. I never get to get up again, just sit and eat my food. I told you I wouldn't eat it. I only will eat (insert junk/fast food item here), but she won't let me. Mommy, MOMMY! I need to tell you something...oh, I am so tired. I can't eat.
Me: Then go to bed.
Alex: You always make me go to bed, I never get to eat my food...
Seriously, this is the way he reacts unless its something that he wants to do. It's driving me nutty! He is begs to help with whatever chore I am doing, but if I ask him to pick up after himself he goes all Scarlett O'Hara on me. And just so you know the 'she' in the scenes above are not typos, he actually talks to himself like I'm not in the room. Where does he get this from? Gah!

No comments:
Post a Comment