Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Kindergarten Question: Answered.

It's hard to believe, but in 2 short months Alex will be five years old. I was just getting used to this 4 year old too. But then again just as I started to really love 3, he turned 4. And that is just the way it goes. But, 5 is a very special year because it makes him officially old enough to be in Kindergarten. This August thousands of parents will register their 5 year old for their first year of school, but we will not be one of them.

WHAT? WHY?

Well now, I'm glad you asked. No we aren't waiting an extra year or anything. We won't be registering Alex for school at all. We have officially decided to homeschool him. It was a decision that was agonized, and even argued over by Matt and I. In the end we both realized that to homeschooling is the absolute best decision for our family and for our son.

One of the main points that kept coming up is how other people would react when we told them. Already we have encountered a lot of questions from friends and family, and even a few strangers. We have also gotten a wide range of reactions. I got a stern lecture from a very old woman in my pulmonologist's lobby and the few homeschooling families we know were very supportive, and then there are people who could care less what we do with our kid.

This was a very big decision for our family and I am sure I will write a lot about it over the years here and on Facebook. I know that a lot of my friends and family may have questions or concerns so, I have decided to compile a list of frequently asked questions and answer them right here. A small warning, I will give my honest answers. Most of these questions were brought up the epic homeschool vs. public school debates that occurred in our house. If you have any others, feel free to add them in the comments.

Do you worry about Alex losing the social aspect of public school?
The point of school is not to socialize, its to get an education. Alex is very well adjusted right now, and doesn't go to school. In fact he is very outgoing and personable, and with a daddy like Matt, that will likely never change, even if he is home schooled. Right now he is given the opportunity to socialize with a wide variety of people from all ages and backgrounds. He has long conversations with patient adults in grocery stores, arguments with the 7 year old girl next door, and makes secret plans to move in with the 3 kids next door. If we were to put him in school he would be with 30 other 5 year olds for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Now tell me who is more socialized... :)

How will you make sure he learns everything he needs to know?
In my humble opinion, literacy is the only necessary result of school, and he is already well on his way. Even more so then he lets on. And, once he can read and write he can do/learn anything.

Are you qualified to teach him?
I really don't see myself as his teacher, rather a facilitator and supporter of his education. Right now I'm pretty sure I can handle most of his educational needs, but if/when I can't there are endless resources at his disposal. Ultimately the desire to learn comes from within. Alex, like most children, is extremely curious. His favorite word is why. He wants to learn new things, it makes him happy and I don't want that to change.

Will you have designated school time, tests, grades and homework?
For many home schoolers the answer is yes, and the classroom setting is often re-created in the home complete with curriculum and schedules. We are opting for an unschooling approach, so my answer is No.

What do you mean by unschooling? 
There is no one way to unschool.  For us, I plan to follow Alex's lead. Let his interesst and curiosity lead us where it may. Read this MSNBC article for another look.

If you don't do school, what do you do?
Read, play, sing, dance, grow things, write. I encourage Alex to do the things that interest him and bring him joy. We do the things that have meaning in our lives and contained within those activities is real learning. 

You mean you let him run wild? 
Unschooling doesn't mean not being a parent. Children need loving adults interested in helping them grow and learn. I follow Alex's lead when it comes to learning. He shows an interest in something and I help facilitate activities or conversations to enrich his mind based on those interests. I also encourage him to write down everything he discovers in a journal.

But, what about math?
There are a great many ways to encounter math in the real world. Counting, adding, grouping, patterns, measurements, fractions, percentages, probability, etc., are all used in real-life problem solving. Math that is actually used, is math truly learned. 

...and if he never has an interest in pursuing a career/hobby that requires the use of Calculus, what is he losing if he doesn't learn it? :)


Is this legal?
Yes. In Arizona the provision for homeschooling is very relaxed. The only requirement is at age 6, I submit an Affidavit of Intent to Homeschool to the County Superintendent.  In the Affidavit it states that I must "provide instruction in reading, grammar, mathematics, social studies, and science", but has no requirement of how/when I must teach nor a requirement to prove his advancement in these subjects. In fact there is a provision that prohibits any requirement of the testing of children who are instructed in a homeschool (source).

How will you know he is learning?
Right now, I estimate he is at the same level academically as a first semester first grader. Everyday Alex will tell you what he has learned. But really, all you have to do is be around him and you can see that he is learning. School sections off a child's time. There is a time to learn, and a time to play. For Alex, the world is his classroom. Anytime he plays, is a time he learns. 

Disclosure:
Homeschool is the decision we made for our family. I realize every family/child is different, and I have NO opinion on how any other parent should educate their child. Also, while my opinion on the country's public education system is not stellar, I have a very high regard for teachers and think they deserve much more respect *cough*MONEY*cough*. The end.


      1 comment:

      1. "Ultimately the desire to learn comes from within." Love this! Great blog and keep it up! Alex is beyond smart and is going to be a billionaire! lol

        ReplyDelete