Thursday, February 9, 2012

Broken

February 3rd, Josslyn turned 3 months old. I decided to to finally open up a plaster hand print kit that was given to us months before she was born. I read the directions and got the plaster ready. I decided it would be easier to use her foot since she likes to make fists right now. While she was sleeping in her wrap I dipped her foot in the plaster. It wasn't quite set enough and the print was a mess. I quickly spread the plaster back out to try again. But before I could get her foot cleaned off I heard a horrible scream in the back yard. I looked out the kitchen window and saw Alex's two friends on the trampoline and Alex on the ground holding his arm. I just knew immediately what happened, he fell off and broke his arm. We got him inside and I braced myself to inspect the damage. He was wearing a long sleeve shirt so I decided to just cut up the sleeve rather than pull it over his head. The swelling around his wrist looked bad and there was an obvious difference between his two arms. He needed to be seen by a doctor. I called Matt at work to tell him what happened and he immediately headed home. I ran out front and found my awesome neighbor just pulling in his driveway. I told him what happened and asked for a ride to the urgent care on the corner. He obliged and off we went.

It was a busy night at the urgent care and we were told we had at least an hour wait. Alex was in so much pain, I asked if the nurse could at least evaluate him so he could get some medicine for the pain. The took him back to triage and were very concerned with how pale he was and that he kept asking to lay down. They decided that because I didn't witness the fall they couldn't rule out a head injury and didn't feel comfortable treating him. So they gave him Tylenol and sent us to the ER.

By this time Matt had made it to the Urgent care, so we jumped in the car and headed to the hospital. The ER was even more packed than the hospital so we prepared ourselves for a long wait. They triaged Alex right away and actually put us immediately in a room to wait for xrays and a doctor. After the xrays we got the news we were dreading. His wrist was indeed broken. The good news was that his personality and color had come back, so no head injury. The doctor attributed those symptoms as shock. We were told that Alex had a Distal Radius Fracture, but it won't require surgery. He will however need to see a pediatric orthopedist to follow up and get his arm casted.

A few days later went to the orthopedist where they did more xrays. Once they took his splint off we found that his elbow was extremely swollen, so they decided to xray it as well. When the doctor cam in to review his finding we were told that Alex's elbow was also broken and his wrist was actually broken in two places and would need a hard cast for about 6 weeks. Alex picked his favorite color, red.

No comments:

Post a Comment